Building blocks

I see you lying there, grasping a block with both hands. 

You are going cross-eyed as you bring your treasure to your mouth. 

You knaw at the wood, exploring and teething. 

You wave it around enthusiastically, your lip wobbling as it tumbles from your hands.


I see you sitting poker straight, working at your core muscles.

Tapping two blocks together, chuckling at the sound.

You are learning cause and effect, revelling in the resounding noise.


I see you concentrating, your tongue is slightly extended. 

Brows are furrowed, hand trembling as you lift one block. 

Eye and hand coordination is in practice. 

Slowly, you go, not wanting to fail.

Your happiness is unbounded as you build your first tower.


I see you throwing blocks in frustration.

You want to build the tallest tower, yet it topples time and time again.

I dry your tears and return the blocks.

Keep trying little one towards victory.

I see you building, and an entire castle stands tall. 

Quickly and confidently, it is formed within minutes, straight from your imagination.


I see you lying there, your arm around your sibling.

You are their biggest cheerleader and patient teacher. 

You hand the blocks one by one and clap as baby places their first block.

Comments